Monday, June 16, 2008

Company Annual Dinner 2008

My company held its 2nd anniversary dinner at Hotel Maya, Kuala Lumpur. Our theme for the dinner is Movie Theme, so we can have chance to dress up like super heroes, super stars, movie characters or even manga/anime/game characters.

Below is the Monster Technologies Annual Dinner Agenda on 14 June 2008:
6:00pm Reception
7:00pm Welcome Speech by Social Committee President
7:10pm Speech from Managing Director
7:30pm Buffet Diner Starts
8:00pm Performance
8:30pm Lucky Draw #1
8:45pm Table Games #1
9:00pm Performance from Newbies
9:30pm Lucky Draw #2
9:45pm Table Games #2
10:00pm Grand Prizes
10:15pm Group Photo Session

Majority of my colleagues rented from Costume shops like Fun Costume Shop, Costume World, Century Fiesta, and Costumes N Parties. The rental price for one full set of costume (including weapons, wig or accessories) is around RM100 on average for a total of 3 days period.

I have decided to dress up as Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2. A week before the dinner, I was hunting for the costume, but unfortunately I could not find the costume in any of the above mentioned costume shops. I then decided to DIY the costume and bought some fabrics that match the colors of the various parts of the costume. I did not have any sewing experience, so I went to my mom for her help as she has basic sewing skills. That Sunday night, I showed her Yuna’s pictures from Final Fantasy X-2 and I pleaded for her help and even offered her "some rewards" for helping me. After some negotiation, she finally agreed to help me, but the problem is this is the first time she is working a fantasy costume.

During the week before annual dinner, I was very worried that she might not be able to complete it on time, as she has less than a week’s time to work on it since the day I told her about it. During that week, I was still trying to find if there are any other cheap costumes available online, unfortunately I still could not find any. I was actually quite upset and had already given up. I could only depend on my mom and hope that she will be able to complete it smoothly and on time.

The date of the annual dinner is getting closer and my mom has completed the skirt, and has made a draft for the shirt too. I feel more relieved and excited and could not wait to see the final result. At last, she completed making the costume on Friday night (the day before the dinner). I was so happy. Thank you, mom, for all your effort!

After the costume has been completed, I was still struggling with my hairstyle, because I like my current hairstyle. If I really wanted to play the role of Yuna, I will have to cut my hair short to make me look more like the character. My colleagues were suggesting me to cut my hair also. After some thought, I decided to cut my hair for this annual dinner. My colleagues were surprised that I sacrificed my current hairstyle for this dinner. Anyway I hope my Yuna look on that night was great. Here are some pictures to share.

Lenne and Yuna Yuna and her costume in real pictures


Yuna singing and dancing


Ballroom @ Hotel Maya, Kuala Lumpur





Me in Yuna costume :p

4 comments:

mang0 said...

Wah, long time never see your update liow, good to have you back again!
Your mum so great ler, make the dress for you, so amazing~

Adeline said...

hehe..yaloh..finally got time to update blog :p

I also couldn't expect my mom able to sew it for me in time hehe..but only can wear it once.. a bit wasted

shoba said...

wasted? no way. just wear it to work! you sewed it for work related reason rite? haha!

Sarah said...

hi there. those costumes are really beautiful!!!